[sword-devel] AbbottSmith module question

Daniel Owens dcowens76 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:59:48 MST 2016

DM,

For some reason my emails are not coming through. Here is my initial
response:

***
This module has never worked, as far as I can tell. I never was able to
chase down why or convince Chris (who first put it up) to fix it. Thanks
for calling attention to this, DM.

Now the source file has many corrections to the markup and data
(https://github.com/translatable-exegetical-tools/Abbott-Smith/blob/master/abbott-smith.tei.xml).
So I suggest a new module needs to be made. I am having trouble
validating on my Mac, but must have to do with my setup. If someone can
run xmllint and fix any validation problems, I would appreciate that.

I would also appreciate someone creating a new module. It has been a
long time since I have been able to successfully compile and test a TEI
module. If someone has time and expertise to do this, I would be
grateful because the TEI lexicon module creation cycle is a series of
mysteries to me.

***

To answer your question about the NT occurrences, we added this to make
the source file more useful for things like generating vocabulary lists,
etc. It can safely be removed using XSLT for the purpose of creating a
SWORD module. In the Github repository you can see the scripts I created
years ago to create a SWORD module. I suspect you could cook up
something better off the top of your head, but feel free to have a look.

You can also safely add the zero filling to the Strong's numbers. But
the source file is set up with the actual Greek lexeme as the entry @n
because it is not Strongs. And that is how it should be. I wish the
engine could deal properly with this. The Strong's numbers are a sort of
legacy hack to support texts that are tagged using Strong's numbers. But
now we have a better text that is not tagged with Strong's (the
morphgnt-sblgnt module). Other texts should be deprecated and lexicon
modules keyed to Greek lexemes.

It is one of my frustrations that the Sword engine has never adequately
supported real Greek lexemes, as you find in the morphgnt-sblgnt module.
The Abbott-Smith module has Strong's numbers only because that is the
quickest hack to connecting words in legacy texts to real lexicon
entries. But it should not always be so. We should be moving away from
Strong's numbers and toward something more up-to-date. I believe Troy
worked on this issue at one time (we sat down at SBL in 2011 to do
this), but I have never seen it fully supported by the frontends.

Daniel