[sword-devel] Glossaries & LangSortOrder

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 12 06:11:18 MST 2016

No. The dictionary module uses a collation mechanism to byte order upper case keys. It then uses a binary search algorithm to find the keys. There is a CaseInsensitiveKeys=true that can be set in the conf which will make the order of the keys based upon the mixed case keys, but the index is still sorted by byte order of those keys. There are some scripts that don’t have upper/lower case (e.g. arabic) and some languages where a naive toUpper will result in the wrong character (e.g. Turkish lower dotted i and Turkish capital dotted I). It is fine to use toUpper for internal normalization, but having keys in all caps when showing to a user is annoying.

The problem is that the display order needs to follow something that makes sense to a user when the dictionary is presented as a list.

In Him,
	DM