[sword-devel] Language codes for Hebrew

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Jan 9 08:33:55 MST 2016

I think it is clear that Biblical Hebrew and modern Hebrew are two
separate beasts.

If you look at classes - the distinction is routinely Biblical and
Modern.

What you refer to as ancient Hebrew - I think this is largely
irrelevant for our purposes. A while back someone offered us Ancient
Hebrew scriptures modules. When I looked into it it became abundantly
clear that it was rubbish - someone had done some font replacement and
saw deep spiritual meanings in the more ancient fonts. What is
available in genuine texts in ancient Hebrew amounts to a few
inscriptions etc. So we got three stages - Ancient (irrelevant),
Biblical (everything but two modules of us) and Modern/Ivrit (Delitzsch
etc). Which codes apply to which I do not know. But it is clear that
Ivrit and Biblical Hebrew will have and should have two different
codes. It is not the same.

Peter