[sword-devel] NASB status

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 7 06:15:42 MST 2016

I really don’t want to encourage the flames.

I was asked to modify the C++ source. I did that. I didn’t rewrite it. It is still C++. I think it can be diffed with the original to understand my changes. But I don’t remember if that is the case when I updated it for the latest Lockman input.

Greg’s work is complete. BibleDesktop has a publicly available beta that works with it. (It is not appropriately packaged for each platform.) Existing BD can be patched by a user placing an xslt file in a particular place on their computer.

Regarding JSword, it has full support for the NASB. STEP and AndBible have been released with such support. BibleDesktop beta 2.0 is available with support. I’ve got a couple of nasty bugs in zLD modules that have to be squashed. (I’ve squashed a dozen or so other bugs in the last month.) Other than that, it is merely a packaging issue. So, a version of BD is available for the NASB today. A user may have to run it from a shell script.

I also have done the naslex work. It is written in Perl. Is it complete? I doubt it, as I stopped when my nasb effort wasn’t acceptable. From what I remember:

The markup of the lex is in TEI. This was one of the first dictionaries in TEI. It may need to be examined to see if it still is appropriate.

There was a question to Chris Little, way back then, about how to do linking within the module. I don’t think there was an answer.

There are entries of the form Hnnnn!b (that’s what is in the NASB; in the lex it is Hnnnnb), and the SWORD engine was changed to handle these. The SWORD engine was also modified to handle these when using any of the current Strong’s Number dictionaries.

IIRC, Lockman wanted a single module for the lex. We talked about having a single module with both H and G entries. That is the key would have a leading H or G. This of course would have Greek before Hebrew. I don’t know if the SWORD engine was changed to allow for this.

If I recall, BibleDesktop, SwordWeb and The SWORD Project for Windows displayed the “word" differently. I don’t remember whether it was the Greek or the Hebrew. Best as I can remember, it was an “accented” capital letter.

I don’t remember whether there was a display problem with JSword frontend.

On the CrossWire server, for those that have accounts, the naslex work here: ~dmsmith/newmods/lockman/nasec/naslex

Together in His Service,
	DM

Here is an example of the TEI: