[sword-devel] PocketSword's index generator

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:35:38 MST 2016

Michael just mentioned PocketSword's index generator.

The situation is more complicated than merely generating the downloadable
search index for each module.
cf. Peter already does that for new modules he builds for CrossWire.

Until and including iOS 8.x this install feature of PS worked OK.
Installing a module was followed immediately by installing its index.
For any module without an index, PS gave a graceful error message.

After iOS 9.0 was released, things changed.
Installing a module with an index worked OK.
For any module without an index, PS crashes while attempting to get the

Now with iOS 9.2, it's got much worse.
Installing a module with an index, PS now crashes while attempting to get
the index.
This is a serious situation for one of our most popular front-ends.

Nic's proposal would be to update PS so that it can generate its own index
for a module.
This wasn't a good prospect for the earliest iOS devices, but it should be
quite feasible and fast with the latest hardware.

The difficulty is that he doesn't have the free time he used to have, so PS
software development is on hold.

His plea for volunteers seems to have been unheeded, but there's no harm in
repeating it.

As an iPad Mini & iPhone user of PS, I'd welcome seeing some progress
towards fixing this.

Best regards,

David