[sword-devel] SFM to OSIS handling of the markers \fr and \xo ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 03:53:57 MST 2016

Thanks Michael,

I can imagine a situation where having a back link is useful, but typically
only for footnotes.

Suppose:
1. You click a note marker, and the note gets displayed.
2. You scroll to another passage, but the note remains visible.
3. You click the back link in the displayed note, and return to where you
were before.

NB. Some front-ends might not work this way.

i.e. I think there are two kinds of front-end behaviour in regard to
clicking cross-reference links.
A. It takes you directly to the cross-reference.
B. It displays the cross-reference note, requiring a further click to go to
the selected cross-reference.

For type B front-ends (e.g Xiphos) the back link is still potential useful
for the same reason as with ordinary footnotes.

Then what about cross-reference notes that do not wholly consist of a set of
reference links (ignoring the trivial punctuation marks) ?

i.e. Notes that contain additional text which helps to clarify the
cross-reference.

The Welsh Beibl Net has many of these.

Type A front-ends will deprive the user of the chance to read the additional
text.
Type B front-ends should display the full note.

Is my understanding correct?

Regards,

David