[sword-devel] SFM to OSIS handling of the \sr marker?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:07:48 MST 2016

As I continue to evaluate the efficacy of Aydeth's u2o.py script, this
subject surfaced in my thinking.

The \sr marker is described in the USFM Reference:

Section reference range.
· The text reference range listed under a section heading.
· \sr is not equivalent to \r which is used for marking parallel references.

What real value is there in making these kind of references into OSIS links?

After all, when you see one of these headings, you're already at the
location.
There's no obvious need to click it as a link, as you'd stay in the same
place.

It's not at all like the references in a parallel passage heading.
Click one of those, and the front-end should take you there (directly or
indirectly).

Of course, some front-ends (e.g. Xiphos) convert ranges to a verse list in
the side panel.
But how much value does this add for the typical user?

And consider how many verses could easily end up in such a verse list. e.g.
Does anyone really think a verse list for 41 psalms is going to be useful?

I'm beginning to think that we should leave these as plain text headings
rather than active links.

Does anyone agree?

David