[sword-devel] PEG parser for USFM

Ryan Hiebert ryan at ryanhiebert.com
Sat Jan 2 13:48:45 MST 2016

I'm completely new to USFM, so I'm sketching out my ideas on how the parser probably should look. This is unearthing some of the many things I don't understand about USFM, so I'll post my questions here. Feel free to forward me to a better forum if there is one.

These questions are all related:

1. Is text allowed to be on a line _without_ a marker starting the line?
2. Are blank lines semantically meaningful? That is, if all the blank lines are removed, does the file mean _exactly_ the same thing?
3. Are the non-text markers (one that don't have the ending form( \usfm* ) required at the beginning of all meaningful lines?
4. Is only one non-text marker allowed per line?
5. Must a non-text marker be only at the beginning of a line?

Thanks for any help you can give with assisting me in sorting this out. I'm obviously completely new to USFM, so I don't know what I don't know.

Ryan