[sword-devel] zip/unzip weirdness technical advice please

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 26 15:52:30 MST 2015

Ok, one step forward.

I am not sure if I am dealing with a bug or with my own limitations
here, but I do think a installmgr bug is more likely:

If I use the installmgr to install a new iteration of an existing
module on my own computer, in my home directory, with an installation
owned (in a UNIX sense) by me, then the installmgr will do what it is
told. It will install the new module over the existing one.

If I use the installmgr to install a new iteration of an existing
module on the server, in my home directory, with an installation owned
(in a UNIX sense) by me, then the installmgr will do what it is told.
It will install the new module over the existing one.

If I use the installmgr to install a new iteration of an existing
module on the server in the main module repo (owned by pubmod, a member
of whose group I am) then I get a success message, but the old module
will persist and my installation will not have happened.

I guess, but do not know for sure, the group ownership is the key
difference. Despite me having group permissions something does not
work.

This is at the core what has happened. I kept installing updated
versions, but none actually appeared on the server - but installmgr
sent me success messages

This does not explain the corruption, but it explains the persistence
of the corruption once it was there.

Peter