[sword-devel] HarfBuzz

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 12 23:51:31 MST 2015

Hi David,

basically, harfbuzz is part of the very low level system rendering
side, if it is part of it. It would not likely ever be part of a
frontend. If you run a Linux system with Gnome/GTK then chances are it
is part of your stack. It is part of mine. As a result Xiphos here will
use it if it is there. But not because it relies upon it, but because
it relies on something else (webkit) which in turn (via gtk?) relies on
pango which in turn relies on harfbuzz if it is there.

Pango in turn is heavily supported by SIL. SIL maintained for years a
patched version where they kept trying their things out. As a result yu
could use them sometimes to get a special edge in terms of display -
but AFAIK all successfully tested tends to get folded into mainstream
pretty soon. I would not run on my system SIL's pango directly as too
many things break if you run

I am not sure if our Windows version of Xiphos needs to bundle all this
stuff and where it gets it from, but I guess you have a windows
computer - check if it is there.

So, in short, this is not something we would really take any interest
in from the engine side and from a frontend we would take only an
interest when we need to send a lot of bundled stuff along as in Xiphos
on Windows.

yours

Peter