[sword-devel] <spoj> element [Was: Re: Partial Strong's and Robinson's <w>]

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri Mar 28 18:30:40 MST 2014

On Mar 28, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 20:57 -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>> They would display the text in the same fashion as not being in <w>...</w>.
>>
>> You can add type="x-spoj" if you like to retain information from the input.
>
> Good idea.
>
>> Is there some particular way you think it should display?
>
> Well, it is printed with some kind of braces around the words. Something
> like
>
> ⌈jsem nalezl zalíbení⌉
>
> But using too many of these braces and indexes leads to the classical
> unreadable study Bible style of typography, which I don’t like much.

I don't like it much. At times I like turning off every markup but the text. Then I'm not distracted even by verse numbers as I listen to His word.

> Some probably just some kind of gentle highlighting?

The highlighting we have is limited at this time to <hi type="xxx">...</hi> where xxx is the type of highlighting such as underline, italics, small-caps, ....

We don't have it but it might be nice to have markings that can be toggled. I could see having such for a critical apparatus of a Greek text.

If I were to design it, I'd use the <milestone marker="⌈" type="x-apparatus"/>

In Him,
	DM