[sword-devel] JavaScript & SWORD modules

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Jan 19 17:34:20 MST 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 01:57:41PM -0600, Greg Hellings wrote:
>Multiple efforts have been made to allow JavaScript
>implementations to directly read a Sword module file format,
>but this can be fraught with difficulty.

Well, this seems to be dismissing a possibility of only-JS Sword
app too quickly. Especially, considering that I have
https://github.com/zefanja/biblez-ng installed on my Firefox OS
and it works.

But of course, let all flowers bloom, we can have multiple
solutions to one problem. However, I see immediately couple of
problems:

 * Offline access. Of course, we can store megabyte JSONs in the
   phone, instead of storing native XML, but I am not sure
   dealing with huge JSONs is that much faster than some
   reasonably good access to XML? Is it? How large is the Book
   of Psalms in JSON?
   And if you say that users are online 100% time than it is
   just not true. Firefox OS is meant for low-end phones in poor
   countries where 3G bandwidth (don’t even start to hope for
   4G) is quite often metered. Heck, it is metered even here in
   relatively affluent Prague, Czechia (and I know that this is
   not that much huge exception of Czechia). Not mentioning
   metro, inside of churches, and other closed spaces where
   connection is either extremely poor or non-existent.
 * OSIS uses almost universally milestoned-XML and there is
   a reason for that. It seems to me that JSON is by its nature
   exact opposite of milestones. How would you deal with
   chapters, verses, pericopes, crossing each other?

>The README file has basic build and run directions. I have
>a sample of it up and running at
>http://www.thehellings.com:10001/ and ws://

And front-end demo (Web or CLI)?

Blessings,

Matěj

Data matures like wine, applications like fish.
  -- James Governor
  http://redmonk.com/jgovernor/2007/04/05\
  /why-applications-are-like-fish-and-data-is-like-wine/