[sword-devel] 1.7.2 release

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 16 00:50:02 MST 2014

On 1/15/2014 3:51 PM, Daniel Owens wrote:
> I agree. From a strategic point of view, I think it makes sense to place
> a priority on mapping between KJV, NRSV, and Leningrad, but then LXX is
> important too. Even if it is only approximate, there are some places
> where it is very simple (most of the Psalms are offset by one chapter,
> for example), and when it can be done, accurate (though maybe not
> precise) parallel display should be sought after to make it easier for
> the user. It does not have to be perfect, and certainly such mapping
> does not need to reorder verses like the German Bible Society's Synopsis
> of the Gospels. The user just needs to see in a parallel display that
> the two Bibles are roughly lined up.

Sure, and the KJV, NRSV, and Leningrad can be mapped between with good
accuracy. Furthermore, the data is readily available and there's no
variability to account for or work around.

Mapping between the LXX versification system and another versification
is impossible because there's no single LXX versification. Specifically
mapping between Rahlfs' LXX and a KJV/NRSV or MT/Leningrad versified
translation will work fine (and the data for that is available).
Applying the same mapping between Brenton's LXX translation and the
KJV/NRSV or MT/Leningrad versified translation will fail spectacularly.
The versifications of Rahlfs' and Brenton's LXXes, despite using the
same versification system definition in Sword, have about as much in
common as either of them and the KJV.

So this reduces to the point I keep making: translation to translation
mapping will work well-enough; system to system mapping (as they're
defined in/by Sword) will not.

The data for all the LXX editions & translations used to create Sword's
LXX versification definition can be found at
https://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/versification/lxx_v11ns/ and
everyone is welcome to do their own comparisons to see the wide
variability of versifications among texts using the same versification
definition.

--Chris