[sword-devel] Internal link via OSIS ref in GenBooks - bug?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Jan 11 09:56:56 MST 2014

On 1/11/2014 1:40 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> I have created a new GenBook module, the Dark Night of the Soul by John
> of the Cross (It will be submitted in short order)
>
> In the process I found that links do not work as advertised in the wiki
>
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Genbooks#Internal_Links
>
>   i.e. formed like a usual osisRef
>
> ModuleName:ModuleRoot.Section.Subsection.Target
>
> but instead worked only if formed like this with slashes:
>
> ModuleName:ModuleRoot/Section/Subsection/Target
>
> I have no particular problem with this - as long as one way works and as
> long as we explain in the wiki the working way, but I think it might be
> a bug nevertheless, no?

As DM says, the Wiki is right. There is no legal alternative in OSIS.

I'm not sure it's a bug, either, however. (Or, if we were to call it a
bug, I don't know what the solution would necessarily be.)

The problem lies with this being somewhat front-end specific, so I'm
curious about which specific front-end(s) you found to work with the
second format. It's possible that most of them would treat the whole
thing as a big SWKey and are completely ignorant of the internals or format.

I don't recall whether front-end authors decided on a common GenBook ref
format for XHTML markup, but if we just convert dots to slashes and it
works for a number of them, then a quick solution would be to add that
conversion to the OSISXHTML filter.

--Chris