[sword-devel] Locale - proposal

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Sat Jan 4 19:43:30 MST 2014

On 4 Jan 2014, at 10:08 am, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> The relevant standard is BCP 47: https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47
>
> The standard separator is hyphen (-), but use of underscore is common. POSIX locales, for example, use underscore. I guess hyphen should be preferred, but we should accept underscores and map them to hyphens. In any case, they are treated identically and underscore is never permitted by BCP 47, so folding them together as hyphens is safe.

Ahh, that explains why I need to map between "_", which SWORD uses, to "-", which is what Apple uses (in iOS). Apple does the right thing and SWORD uses the legacy method which is now "never permitted". Are we going to update that at some point?
Also, are we going to switch to utf8 being the default encoding at some point and remove the need for "-utf8" being part of the locale name?