[sword-devel] Locale - proposal

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Jan 3 15:01:56 MST 2014

Thanks Troy,

Both for bug-fix and for the advice. I will see what I can do wrt
creation of adequate parents where these are needed.

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 12:16 -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Remember, we have MANY MORE language modules than we have locales for
> the engine. Wycliffe alone has made sure of this. The locales.conf file
> is intended to help frontend developers display language names to end
> users when they come across a module language code.

Locale have a number of further functions:

1) During module creation we use them to create working OSIS refs from
localised text:

Mattheus 4, 3

becomes

<note type="crossRef" osisRef="Matt.4.3">Mattheus 4, 3</note>

2) We can support localised search even in languages where the frontends
do not have a valid GUI translation yet.

So, locales are very important, beyond just GUI building.

Wrt locales and modules, I do think as a rule we should not accept a new
module from a previously "unserved" language without a locale. It is
easily created at module making time.

I also think there is ample scope in scripting locale creation from USFM
at least.

Peter