[sword-devel] Translation Tools

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 26 21:29:13 MST 2014

Hi Joseph,

I'm not sure where you've seen this mentioned on our site, but we've
recently written a distributed authoring tool for Bible scholars to
collaboratively transcribe ancient manuscripts for the Institut für
neutestamentliche Textforschung.

You can see the software here:

http://ntvmr.uni-muenster.de/transcribing

Enter into the quick lookup field: p1
press enter, select the first search result, and click on the first
thumbnail (click on the 'open new image viewer hover icon next to the
image if you actually want to see the image of the manuscript page).

You can experiment and play with the editor.

The [Version History] button will let you compare different versions of
your own editions and also compare any of your versions to the latest
version of anyone else who has saved work.

The ChiRho edit box will let you type any Greek character(s) and give
you paleography assistance.

The [From Basetext] will load up the editor with data from a designated
basetext for the verses indexed for the image, so the editor has a place
to start.

The [Discuss] icon will begin a forum message about the content being
transcribed.

We have project management and work assignment / progress, etc. builtin.

And these tools are all integrated into a mature portal environment so
you have all the standard portal tools that come out of the box: shared
calendars, files, message boards, wikis, etc.

Not all functionality will be there for you to play with unless you
create an account and login, and then more would be available if you had
admin access, but all of these tools are opensource and available for
you if you feel they are useful for your team.

Hope this is helpful,

Troy