[sword-devel] Project "Free Scriptures" started

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 06:49:51 MST 2014

Hi Jaak,

I've been around CrossWire for quite a few years without actually being
part of the official group, so I think my opinion might be helpful here as
I don't have any turf to defend (CrossWire regulars: please chip in if I'm
misrepresenting anything).

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Jaak Ristioja <jaak at ristioja.ee> wrote:

> On 25.02.2014 02:21, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > I hesitate to even humor yet another response to unwarranted
> > criticism.
> >
> > Let's just say what you really mean:  You think people have
> > trouble contributing to the SWORD project because we don't use your
> > choice of source control software and because we have a very tight
> > approval process for acceptance of code into our core engine.
>
> If you think criticism on part of VCS and patch approval process is
> unwarranted, what are your arguments?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to criticise choices such as VCS and the
patch approval process.
What is unreasonable is to expect project maintainers to listen just
because you have made that criticism.  SWORD is a mature, feature-ful and
complex library, and as result I'm fairly happy with a default attitude of
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I could be wrong, but my gut feel is that there are not many in the
different front end teams that have actually made changes to SWORD, and I
don't see that changes to VCS / patch approval process are likely to change
that.  While sharing code is good in theory, trying to make changes /
improvements which are acceptable to all frontends is a lot harder than
just making something which will work for your personal frontend (I've
tried).  As a result, unless we want to have a different fork of SWORD for
every frontend, with the resulting chaos, changes to SWORD affect more
people and so will be harder to get in (and should have a higher quality
control / review barrier).

It's also unreasonable to connect these choices to the "freeness" or
otherwise of the software.  As with all GPL software, you have the absolute
freedom to modify it to your heart's content and to host it on a different
version control system (though you will have to identify how it is changed
and possibly rename it).  If you want those changes to go back to the main
repository, then people need to check that they work and that they don't
break anything else.  I would say most large open source projects have a
fairly careful review process, some more stringent than CrossWire's.
There's nothing special about the way CrossWire has done it.  Contributing
code back to open source software is not a right - it's a privilege, and
the privilege has to be earned.

Jon