[sword-devel] Av11n modules - was Deuterocanonical books / Apocrypha

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Thu Feb 6 08:59:30 MST 2014

On 06/02/14 03:00, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> So... take your pick. You may choose to use the OSIS files I generate
> with Haiola <http://haiola.org> (or generate some yourself, since
> Haiola is free and open source). Or you may improve usfm2osis.py and
> use it. Either way, I recommend that proprietary extensions and tweaks
> to the modified OSIS format you import as Sword modules be created in
> a separate step, just in case others take advice given previously that
> OSIS be used to author Sword Bible modules.

I've just tried usm2osis.py and found it to be a very effective tool.
It was far easier for me to put some edits into the usfm files and then
convert.  In addition to AddPs.150 being altered to AddPs there is also
a need to change EpJer.6 to EpJer.1 and to alter EsthGr.10 - 16 to
EsthGr.1 - 7.  Having done that, I was able to make a modified version
of canon_nrsva.h with the differing chapter/verse counts and rebuild the
library.  I now have a nearly correct module.  As EpJer does not exist
in the NRSVA booklist, it was easier for me to make the chapter into
Bar.6 instead.  However, it is very easy to add EpJer into the
versification system by altering my canon_webbe_a.h if required.

Bear in mind that many of us don't use Microsoft Windows or MacOS so the
Haiola programs are not a lot of use to us.  I would say one thing: the
Haiola generated OSIS puts each chapter into one line. This makes it
very cumbersome to edit.  This is why I turned to usfm2osis.  If I want
to edit the OSIS lines, I can do it easily using gedit.

However, I have to say that right now, I am really stuck!  All the
attempts I have made to produce modules leave me with a module that has
all the books except EsthGr.  When I go to Esther (Greek), I get
Revelation.  This happens whether I use Michael's OSIS or the one I have
made.  If anybody has any ideas I could try, please say.  As I made the
module as a rawtext version, I was able to look at it in a text editor.
EsthGr seems to be in the module and there were no error messages from
osis2mod.

I have tried the commandline example 'lookup' and this finds a
completely empty verse for every one I look up in EsthGr so I know the
problem must be in the module.

The OSIS fragment at the start of EsthGr looks like this:
<title type="main">THE REST OF THE CHAPTERS OF THE</title>
<title type="main">BOOK OF ESTHER,</title>
<title type="main">WHICH ARE FOUND NEITHER IN THE HEBREW, NOR IN THE
CHALDEE</title>
<chapter sID="EsthGr.1" osisID="EsthGr.1"/>
<title>PART OF THE TENTH CHAPTER AFTER THE GREEK.</title>
<verse sID="EsthGr.1.1" osisID="EsthGr.1.1"/>
<verse eID="EsthGr.1.1"/>
<verse sID="EsthGr.1.2" osisID="EsthGr.1.2"/>
<verse eID="EsthGr.1.2"/>
<verse sID="EsthGr.1.3" osisID="EsthGr.1.3"/>
<verse eID="EsthGr.1.3"/>
<verse sID="EsthGr.1.4" osisID="EsthGr.1.4"/>
Then Mardocheus said, These things are of God.
<verse eID="EsthGr.1.4"/>
<verse sID="EsthGr.1.5" osisID="EsthGr.1.5"/>
For I remember the dream <note>See Greek Additions to Esther
6:5-11.</note> which I saw concerning these matters, and nothing thereof
has failed.

God bless,        Barry.