[sword-devel] Av11n modules - was Deuterocanonical books / Apocrypha

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 3 15:04:30 MST 2014

On 02/03/2014 01:38 PM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, there are no Bible book name errors in the
> OSIS files I generate. There might be some ambiguity in the
> interpretation of book names for Daniel and Esther from the Greek
> Septuagint vs. the fragments that only contain the parts that the Hebrew
> Bible lacks. If I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), please tell
> me which books are in error, and what the current and proper spellings
> are. Then I can fix them.

(To the best of my knowledge...) There aren't any errors with the book
naming you use. There are some variations in naming between the way
you've named things and the way we've named things. It's not your
responsibility to fix or address this. An example would be the Epistle
of Jeremiah: Is it Epistle of Jeremish chapter 1, Epistle of Jeremiah
chapter 6, or Baruch chapter 6? In our NRSVA versification, we call it
Baruch 6, I think you call it Epistle of Jeremiah 6.

> Chapter numbering of books in the Apocrypha is a bit of an enigma. I can
> renumber Psalm 151 to be chapter 1 of the book AddPs. How are chapter
> numbers in the fragments of Daniel from the Septuagint (Bel & the
> Dragon, etc.) that aren't in the traditional Hebrew Bible handled in
> Sword? What about Esther? What is your recommended best practice for
> these? In real life, these don't start at chapter 1, either. Or, perhaps
> it may be better to skip these and just include the whole books of
> Daniel and Esther from the Greek (i.e., essentially those from the
> LXX2012 as a first draft)?

IIRC, Bel, Susanna, & the Prayer of Azariah all have one chapter and are
almost always printed without any kind of chapter enumeration (like
Philemon or Obadiah).

Esther's chapters are sticky, but they have an enumeration, even if
they're supposed to appear out of order. We can't deal with the out of
order issue. If a versification has 'Additions to Esther', like the
KJVA, then the protocanonical chapters all have 1 verse, which should be
left empty, and the deuterocanonical chapters should be enumerated as
they appear in the text. If a versification has 'Greek Esther', like the
NRSVA, then the whole text of Greek Esther is expected and there are
verse slots for each verse.

> I've been contemplating stripping noncanonical section titles from the
> OSIS files that I generate, because I get the feeling that SWORD can't
> properly handle these if they happen midverse (and the frequently do),
> and that it isn't likely to change in the near future. What do you think?

We build modules from your sites from USFM, so what you do with OSIS
doesn't affect us.

--Chris