[sword-devel] Verses that are [partly] a title ....

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 28 15:23:27 MST 2014

I can provide the OSIS fragment tomorrow. Too late right now, almost bedtime.

The translation editing was implemented in USFM by using Paratext.
The translator knows nothing of OSIS.

The problem is that in the real world (rather than the "ideal OSIS" world)
things are messy.

A Psalm canonical descriptive title can include all or part of a verse,
including the verse tag.
This is common in many French Bibles, and thus in Breton by similarity and
knowledge diffusion.

The framers of the OSIS standard never anticipated that. Nor did the
designers of the SWORD engine.

As a consequence, we hit such issues when faced with this source text and
others that are like it.

We've been insulated from the issue because too many online source texts
have been less than faithful to the printed works they represent.

Other Bible software ministries have adapted to be able to cope.
You can view the same Breton Bible now on YouVersion, and these Psalm titles
are displayed correctly.

And for those who dismiss mere slavish conformance to presentational format,
the question remains:
"How did the translator wish to see this formated?"

Best regards

David