[sword-devel] Text dictionary/glossary link filter

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 21:22:38 MST 2013

I've read through the current SWORD osis option filters, to see if there
might be a way to do textual references to external works which can be
filtered with existing filters. There appears to be no way to do this using
existing filters. (?)

I am open to changing the way IBT's OSIS modules are encoded. I want to
update all of IBT's texts at some point to make them totally SWORD
compliant, SynodlaProt, and 100% functional in as many front ends as
possible. OSIS <reference> tags are already supported by most front-ends,
and they usually work correctly as links. These links are very useful, but
naturally there are times when people want to read texts without bold
underlined links appearing throughout. This is the same impetus that lead
to global option filters for footnote symbols and cross-references etc. so
it seems to be a perfect candidate.

Although the filter proposed previously filters <reference> tags on the
basis of type="x-glossary". Wouldn't it also be perfectly good to simply
filter all <reference> tags from the text? (while leaving them within notes
of course to be handled separately by those filters) This would make
logical sense and would also serve readers of existing modules perfectly
well, even before any module encoding updates.

John