[sword-devel] Audio Bibles

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 06:11:38 MST 2013

There is an online API, available from Every Tribe, Every Nation/Faith
Comes By Hearing, that allows a programmer to create an application that
will display either the text and/or audio for a vast number of scripture
translations. I had hoped to gain access to this for the SWORD project, but
it turns out that every application developer would need to gain their own
API key and that this key is supposed to be kept rather secretive so that
someone else doesn't abuse the Terms of Service with someone else's key.
Thus, it doesn't seem too amenable to use in open source projects.

Alternatively you could use the OSIS methods specified or use HTML
elements. Most Sword applications render out HTML into a reasonably modern
display engine. You could cover a great many Sword users by embedding audio
elements into your module for play. Controlling multiple such files on a
single rendering might be difficult and might require some additional
tweaking to applications.

--Greg