[sword-devel] Synodal versification & IBT modules?

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Tue May 14 03:44:27 MST 2013

On 05/13/2013 06:41 PM, Костя Маслюк wrote:
> Prov.13.26 Prov.18.25 Dan.3.34-100 - is not correct, but i also got
> mistaken: Dan.3.24-3.90 *Prov.13.14* Prov.18.8

Thanks Kostya for pointing this important discrepancy out. I looked into
this and have learned something new that has serious implications to
verse mapping, and to our discussion about the SynodalP v11n:

You are right about which verses are considered deuterocanonical
according to the Russian Synodal translation. However, the new
translations which use the Synodal verse system, all of which exclude
its deuterocanonical material, simply pull out the deuterocanonical
verses and then renumber the verses in consecutive order. This makes
these chapters versified just like KJV. So this is totally reasonable
and to be expected, and is what IBT's translations which I checked have
done.

But, this also means that those new translations which utilize the
Synodal verse system, but which exclude the Russian Synodal's
deuterocanonical material, REQUIRE A DIFFERENT MAP than the Synodal map.
You are right that this may have important implications as to the need
for a SynodalP v11n.

Here's an example. These are the two maps for the book of Daniel (all
chapters which are not listed are identical in both left and right v11ns):

KJV <=> Russian Synodal MAPPING
Dan 3:1-23   = Dan 3:1-23
non-existant = Dan 3:24-90
Dan 3:24-30  = Dan 3:91-97
Dan 4:1-3    = Dan 3:98-100
Dan 4:4-37   = Dan 4:1-34

KJV <=> Russian Synodal Protestant MAPPING
Dan 3:1-30 = Dan 3:1-30
Dan 4:1-3  = Dan 3:31-33
Dan 4:4-37 = Dan 4:1-34

IBT is currently using the second mapping above for ALL its Synodal
texts. This means that IBT's mapping is incorrect when it is used on the
Russian Synodal text in Prov.13, Prov.18, and Dan.3, Dan.4.

This need for TWO MAPS for a single v11n (Synodal) is news to me. This
would complicate future v11n mapping strategies, because it seems we
would need to somehow identify each Synodal module as needing either the
"Russian Synodal" map or the "SynodalP" map.

OR... would it be simpler and more correct to do away with what I
previously proposed for lastChapterPresent() and lastVersePresent() and
instead create a second v11n for Synodal?

I'm thinking that these complications are indicating that a second
Synodal is the right answer in the end. Although this v11n may be used
by more than "Protestants", so perhaps Synodal2 would be more correct?
Actually I believe that this is exactly the approach that Paratext
offers- different Synodal verse systems to choose from.

John