[sword-devel] HTML5 File API and SWORD modules

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed May 8 06:30:43 MST 2013

Stephan,

Firefox OS is the only platform I know that doesn't allow 'native'
binaries to be installed and many other platforms all started with this
same concept and conceded shortly before or after release.  I am
confident it will change or FirefoxOS will be irrelevant (not
necessarily related options).  It is my opinion that all programming for
all applications in the whole world should not be restricted to
javascript+html/css.

Now, having said this, I use javascript+html/css all the time and would
like a more native approach to building SWORD applications in this
environment, hence a javascript interface via Cordova.

Not sure what you mean by "the web", but there are very few
client-side-only (only client-side javascript+html/css) applications on
"the web" (none that I can think of, but I've been told they exist).

When FirefoxOS decides to write their system libraries in javascript,
then I will respect their decision to not allow other developers to link
to native libraries. :)

Anyway, all this to say, practically, I hope a Cordova SWORD extension
will give 95% of the people what they want: the ability to write a SWORD
application using purely javascript+html/css, and for their application
to run reasonably well on any platform supported by Cordova.

Hope this is taken lightheartedly,

Troy