[sword-devel] usfm2osis.py

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed May 8 01:55:19 MST 2013

On 05/08/2013 12:01 AM, Chris Burrell wrote:
> I think we should also add hailo to the page. ..

We don't, as a rule, link to a lot of non-CrossWire/non-Sword software.
Haiola in particular is currently not sufficiently mature to warrant
linking to as a solution for USFM to OSIS conversion. It took me about
an hour to get it installed and able to convert a set of files, in part
because it expects everything to be in precisely its required directory
structure and requires hunting down data files that it doesn't ship with.

usfm2osis.py, on the other hand, requires only that you install some
version of CPython and know where your USFM files are. usfm2osis.py
isn't going to cease to be the preferred method of converting USFM to
OSIS for Sword at any point in the foreseeable future, so there's little
value in distracting people with information about alternative and less
mature methods of converting USFM to OSIS for Sword.

--Chris