[sword-devel] usfm2osis.py

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed May 8 01:38:54 MST 2013

On 05/07/2013 11:45 PM, David Haslam wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Should we edit the  wiki page
> <http://crosswire.org/wiki/Converting_SFM_Bibles_to_OSIS#Converting_USFM_files_to_OSIS>
> to indicate that usfm2osis.py is released and is now the preferred
> conversion tool?

Sure, feel free.

> And should we also indicate that the Perl script usfm2osis.pl is henceforth
> deprecated?

Seems reasonable.

> What about the subsequent steps to fix titles and cross-references?

usfm2osis.py will always only generate best practice OSIS, to the best
of my & its ability, so it won't generate stuff that Sword needs due to
its own shortcomings (x-preverse). To the extent that Sword needs
x-preverse, it will have to be supplied otherwise. I think that's what
you mean by 'fix titles'.

I think you mean expanding references when you say 'cross-references'.
usfm2osis.py should do that, but I don't recall off the top of my head
how well it works. It doesn't use Sword bindings presently, so it's very
limited in its knowledge of versification systems.