[sword-devel] installmgr (and xiphos) crashes (svn 2831)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 06:58:28 MST 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Nic Carter <niccarter at mac.com> wrote:

> (Sorry for the top reply)
>
> IMHO it would be easier to switch to downloading a ZIP file of the module
> than it would to add the infrastructure required to generate a custom
> listing of file names.
> I encountered the issues you point out (and agree with you) & gave up.
> If/when the CrossWire httpd server changes (& the HTML output changes), the
> installmgr code will break :)
>
> My vote, long ago, was to switch to downloading ZIP files instead of each
> individual module file, but no one has implemented that yet (would you mind
> looking, Jaak? My c++ skills are very rusty, as you have seen!) :)

The ability to locally install from a zip file is a long-standing feature
request. Since it is so easy for a user to end up downloading the zip
packages from the server, it would be nice if applications could just pass
the file to the engine and have it unzip and install the module. I believe
there is a front-end that has implemented this (BPBible, maybe?) but it has
never made it back into the engine.

--Greg