[sword-devel] Bible book introductions

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 3 08:06:45 MST 2013

On Jun 3, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk> wrote:
> I thought of that - but then that means that low powered devices, or devices with large numbers of modules have to scan every part of every module on installation of the module while they do their discovery process.
>
> The Scope was related to Copyright & Distribution, but I'm not sure a discovery approach would work. The idea here is that the data doesn't exist, and the conf file was suggested as the place to store it. We can't derive that very easily from the module contents.
>
> I'm curious what this option would represent for Introductions. You're talking about checking ~70 string values for empty either at module load time or at module install time (and then adding some sort of cache value). Even on a low-powered device, reading 70 entries is not going to be a cumbersome time waster if done once at module installation.
>
> In terms of computation, this is nowhere near some of the heavier checks where time is being saved looking for every possible Jesus quote for markup or the like.

> --Greg

It is far more than 70. Every chapter can have an introduction. To see if a module one would have to check every verse 0 for text content. It is not sufficient to see if it has content. It may only have structural content. So that means it will have to be parsed for text.

Worst case is a module that does not have introductions. One would have to check every verse 0. If all that is wanted is to know whether a module has at least one introduction, the code can stop having found the first one.

Also, non-canonical, non-title content can appear anywhere. It is quite possible for there to be section introductions. AFAIK, we just haven't had any modules with that. (But I have paper study bibles with that feature.) So that would mean that every verse would have to be checked to see if it has pre-verse content with introductory material.

-- DM