[sword-devel] Bible book introductions

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 06:02:39 MST 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

> I'm thinking of having a "sidecar" conf for a module. Right now when a
> user wants to save certain settings for a module, we (JSword) modify the
> conf. (I.e. CipherKey and Font).
>
> This could then be used to save anything a front end discovers and does
> not want to discover a second time. Such as Scope (which to my recollection
> was not shot down), Introductions, Colophons, user settings(?)....

BibleTime uses (used?) a cache for at least some of the data of modules. In
particular I know the keys of a dictionary module are cached at first
module load and only updated when the module's version number is changed. I
discovered this some time back while working on such a module which would
not reflect updates to the keys without bumping the version in the conf.

Of course, this type of behavior adapted to Scope is fine on a desktop or
even a netbook or most tablets. But it's unacceptable for a truly
low-powered device.

--Greg