[sword-devel] SWORD + Qt better support

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 12:29:39 MST 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jaak Ristioja <jaak at ristioja.ee> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 28.07.2013 20:36, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > Hey guys.  I spent today to try to add a few methods into 1.7.0
> > before we push it out the door to ease your (those building Qt
> > frontends) integration with SWORD.
>
> I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem like a good idea. First of all, if
> 1.7.0 is just about to be released then adding experimental features
> is not good.
>
> Secondly, if you have support for Qt, why not for Gtk+ and others?

For the above two reasons, I wonder if it's not better to put this sort of
compatibility into the bindings world rather than strapping it directly
into the engine.

A simple extension of the primary classes that support QString and QArray
typed methods would keep it out of the way of all the other front-ends and
prevent unnecessary changes. I had begun down this route, but got stalled
when I had difficulty unraveling the exact nature of the inheritance
hierarchy between SWModule and its specific implementations. I never
returned to it, because there didn't seem to be a pressing desire to have
it.

> Finally, have you thought about how much effort must be put into Sword
> over time to develop good Qt interfaces for everything in Sword? Have
> you considered how much code bloat this would involve?

Putting it into the bindings would permit more people to help. I've already
got privileges in that folder and Troy could open commit rights to more. It
also mirrors the behavior of the ObjC bindings shared between Eloquent and
PocketSword.

--Greg