[sword-devel] Windows Utilities

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 23 11:00:26 MST 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On 07/23/2013 10:19 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>> So, linked verses are a matter of importance, I just struggle to see how
>> the particular output should be a bug in mod2imp. Within the described
>> purpose - it is no issue.
>
> Just off the top of my head (i.e. I'm not looking at code and haven't looked at it in years)...
> In mod2imp, it's fairly easy to eliminate the repeated verses (just ++ the SWModule, IIRC), but less easy to actually output verse range references.
>
> If you ++ the SWModule, you'll get the next verse in the module, but (as mod2imp is currently written) it'll just print the verse number for the first verse. By the time you might figure out that you were in a linked verse, you've moved on to the next distinct verse.
>
> If you delay printing the verse reference & text until you have already advanced to the next verse, you don't necessarily know that verses weren't skipped (empty). So if Gen.1.1-Gen.1.2 were text, Gen.1.3 were void, and Gen.1.4 were text, I believe a ++ from Gen.1.1 would skip to Gen.1.4, and it's not clear how to identify that Gen.1.3 was empty without string comparing the verse texts.
>
> Similarly, if Gen.1.1-Gen.1.3, Gen.1.5 were a linked verse, when you ++ from Gen.1.1, you'll go to Gen.1.4. From there, you'd probably go to Gen.1.6, and it's not clear to me how you'd capture that Gen.1.5 is supposed to be linked to Gen.1.1 via the API.
>
> Do any real front ends print verse range information for users?

We're trying to add that to JSword and its front-ends. To date both SWORD and JSword are verse-by-verse retrieval engines. This makes it hard to do in the engine.

JSword after converting the module content to OSIS adds the <verse> element around the verse. This is used to render the verse number. If it were a linked range, it would show up properly. There are other problems that need to be addressed, such as parallel, tabular view of such linking. (Probably, it should use a rowspan.)