[sword-devel] Versifications and verse order

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:11:36 MST 2013

Chris,

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Do versifications sometimes have different verse orders to each other.
>
> Is this something Sword copes with/is intending to cater for?

My understanding is that no, we do not cater to books, chapters or verses
being out of order. This can be a problem for trying to interweave
deuterocanonical material in Esther and Daniel depending on how a
particular text labels those verses and chapters. But I don't remember
hearing anyone provide concrete examples of this actually happening.

> My aim is to be able to do a text comparison verse for verse, and so
> assuming I have the mappings between each verse, can I take two lists and
> work my way down... In other words

I have written a Python script, available
http://www.crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/versification/av11n.py,
that compares every available Sword versification to a given OSIS document
and reports the deviation from that versification. For it, I first
construct a list of all the refs in a versification, pull out ones that are
encountered in the document, and report the "missing" ones. Not sure if
that helps.

Alternatively, I have
http://www.crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/modules/compare.py which
compares two installed modules, verse by verse, to see if they are exactly
identical in text throughout.

Maybe one of those will help inspire your implementation. Or maybe not!
caveat emptor: they may not have been updated for all the API churn over
the past few months so things like .Error should be .popError and
appropriate getter/setter should be recognized.

--Greg