[sword-devel] Generating / displaying Sword

ARA Jamieson jamie at critos.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 02:31:02 MST 2013

I'm a newbie with OSIS / Sword, so apologies if this is a dumb question or
I'm posting it to the wrong place.

I'm currently converting USX to OSIS using my own processing, then using
osis2mod.pl to generate Sword, and then displaying the results using Xiphos
on PC.  As a test, before I start with non-English language texts, I'm
working with a copy of the King James Version, since it makes it easier to
see what's going on.  The first few hundred characters of the OSIS appear
below :-

			<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
			<osis xmlns=blah>
			<osisText osisIDWork='TESTKJVBible'
osisRefWork='TESTKJVBible' xml:lang='en' canonical='true'>
			<!-- Conversion run: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:09:25 +0000
-->
			<header>
			  <work osisWork='TESTKJVBible'></work>
			</header>
			     <title type='main'
short='Matthew_A'>Matthew_B</title>
			     <title short='Matt'> Matthew_D</title>
According to St. Matthew </title></div>
			     <chapter>
sID='Matt.1.1' /> The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of
David, the son of Abraham. <verse eID='Matt.1.1' >
			                  <verse osisID='Matt.1.2'
sID='Matt.1.2' /> Abraham begat Isaac ...

(I've hacked this manually a bit, because I needed to distinguish the
various occurrences of "Matthew" in the output to help me understand what
was coming from where.)

I thought this was in line with the OSIS spec, but maybe it isn't, because
Xiphos isn't display what I might have expected / hoped for - at least when
it comes to chapter headings and titles ...

1.	"Chapter 1", along with the "1" for verse 1, come out before any of
the headings.

2.	I'm seeing an awful lot of headings - Matthew_B, Matthew_C,
Matthew_D and "The Gospel ...".  I assume this means I'm generating too many
"title" tags, but I'm not sure which of these I can safely get rid of.

3.	I'd assumed that the "tableOfContents" tag was used to mark the
place in the text to which a table of contents should point.  Is this
correct?  If so, clearly I'm using it wrongly, because Matthew_C is being
displayed rather than simply being used internally to sort out the linkage.

4.	I'm wondering about the fact that I have two <div type='book'>s.
The first of these is there because we genuinely are at the start of a book.
The second arises because the USX / USFM contains an \mt tag, and I'm
interpreting section Appendix F of the OSIS manual as saying that's what's
needed; but perhaps I've got that wrong.

Any comments would be very gratefully received.

ARA "Jamie" Jamieson