[sword-devel] Pre-verse div and headings

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 21 08:07:35 MST 2013

OK, to clear this up technically.

setIntros() turns on and off the versification extra 'slots':

TSTMT BK CH:0 - chapter intro
TSTMT BK 0:0 - book intro
TSTMT 0 0:0 - testament intro
0 0 0:0 - module intro

This has nothing to do with filtering tagged content (In the engine)

setGlobalOption("Headings", "On"|"Off")

This will tell the filter set to turn on/off showing anything considered
a section heading.  This used to only be pre-verse titles (e.g., "The
Sermon On The Mount")-- as DM has pointed out. (Relatively) Recent
changes have expanded this to be any content 'pre-verse'-- not just
stuff in a <title> tag.

I can see conceptually how these can easily get blurred.  It was much
easier to see the difference when "Headings" was limited to titles like
"The Sermon On The Mount".  I don't like seeing these when I am reading
through the text.  They are sometimes like "spoilers" in a movie, e.g.,
"The Death of King Saul"  I usually turn these off when I am reading.
On the other hand, when I am flipping through my printed Bible, I value
these to help orient me to about where I am.  Intros were seen as
lengthy book or chapter introductions frequent in printed study Bibles.
Now that "pre-verse" material can be lengthier than simply a section
heading, it does blur the lines a little.

Anyway, just wanted to technical state the difference between the two
mechanisms.

Troy