[sword-devel] Exclusive Rights Granting Crosswire License to Distribute

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:33:01 MST 2013

Umm, Greg, you realise that under Copyright Law Crosswire has no right
to Copy right text
either (at least not without license) or to void its own license agreement?

If Crosswire is licensed to distribute Copyright text for which it is not
the owner:
The Copyright Owner must establish the terms of the licensing with
Crosswire.

If Crossire then publicaly re-distributes the text under license, CrossWire
has a legal obligation under Copyright law, to uphold the owners orginal
license which means it can't keep the license agreement 'secret', otherwise
the constraints and allowances established in the original license are
being stopped at Crosswire.

Sorry, but Crosswire has an obligation (under Copyright law) as distributor
to share with its users the terms of each Copyright owner's license.

If Crosswire has the right distribute a module publically, than it can
prove it has this right by producing a licensing agreement since such an
agreement is how the orginal Copyright owner granted this right in the
first place.  Producing such an agreement also conveys to users of
CrossWire users their obligations inherited through their use of
CrossWire's module (since what restrictions allowances applied to
CrossWire, also apply to users).

~A