[sword-devel] Finding out copyright programatically

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Sun Jan 6 15:01:07 MST 2013

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking and has more complexity than I had
originally thought of - very helpful.

I guess the next question, is whether your four categories are
comprehensive? We would perhaps want to include another bit to indicate
that there are special non-parseable conditions, so as to indicate to a
developer that he'll have to work out what it means for him. I'm thinking
for example of texts that someone makes available on condition that they
are not displayed/used alongside other texts from different publishers, or
other kind of special permissions.

What do you mean by "rights for distribution of an unchanged module"? Do
you mean that someone accessing the module through a front-end, in this
case a web server, would not be included in the licence? i.e. because the
web server has made modifications to the way the data is displayed?

I guess the one thing that I'm not quite clear on yet which affects the
above discussion, is what where the distribution licence ends and where a
license to use the distributed module in Sword frontends starts/ends. Say,
a Xiphos user gets a module distributed by CrossWire, such as the ESV. Does
the Xiphos user then need to seek permission to use the module through
Xiphos from Crossway? Presumably not? Or do the Xiphos owners need to seek
permission from Crossway? Possibly?

Just trying to get my head around the Copyright and licensing law which I
find rather complicated.
Chris