[sword-devel] KJV update

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 20 01:46:10 MST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 7:57 PM, Nic Carter  wrote:

> Pilcrows look fun when they're red :)
> But that's not a bug. :P
>
> Oh, and if pilcrows could be moved to the end of the previous verse instead of the start of the current verse, that would be fun :) But all good if they're staying where they are ;)

In the printed text they show as a character after the verse number and immediately before the first character of the verse.

I've thought about adding <div type="section"> or <p> to surround these, but atm SWORD lib produces too much vertical whitespace.

> There was some comments about the TR markup, and it would be cool if there was some more direction about what we are meant to do with them? PS currently displays them as if they are another Strong's Number link and so tapping on them will try to look it up in the current Strong's Numbers dictionary, which fails to work and instead will always show Strong's Number 1 (ie: Alpha).
> If they're not currently supported at all, are we able to have 2 copies of the OSIS and create our SWORD module from the copy of the OSIS that doesn't contain these bits? :)

Here is my thought in putting them in.

When fixing the tagging of the Strong's numbers to English phrases in the KJV, I had to constantly refer to the TR to see the actual word. I found myself doing a lot of counting to find the n-th Greek word (for src="n"). Also, the TR module has variants in some verses. These represented choice between two Greek texts as to what the src="n" referenced. Sometimes the variants were words in one variant but no words in the other. Other times one variant had more words than the other. And other times they were the same length, but just different words. So, the src="n" was ambiguous in these verses. Adding the words from the TR made it unambiguous.

They certainly belong in the OSIS master text and don't have to be in the module. It is trivial to create a copy of the OSIS master file without them and use that to make a module. There is other markup in the master that is not in the module.

Troy has said he'd like for them to remain, but I think we need to ensure that the SWORD lib handles them such that front-ends works well with them.

I'm going to follow Chris' advice and prefix them as lemma.TR:. Let's see what that does. Can you point me to instructions on how to load a module into PocketSword (again)? I'm too lazy to dig for it ;)

As to direction regarding their use: not sure. Ultimately I think it forms part of an interlinear.

For Bible Desktop, I'm thinking of presenting it along with the Strong's Number. I'm not sure if I'll present the word in place of the Strong's number as the text for the Strong's number link, or have it as a clickable link along side of the Strong's Number with the the same href or have it as plain text. Or not show it at all (which is what I'm doing now.)

But they shouldn't be broken links.

> Other than that, seems all good?

Thanks. We'll sort this out before a release.

In Him,
	DM