[sword-devel] Eusebian Canon Tables

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Feb 1 09:34:02 MST 2013

I'm working on a new data set and feature for the engine.

Eusebian Canon Tables are numbers added by scribes to many NT
manuscripts starting in the 4th century.  These tables allow cross
referencing a passage in the Gospels with other parallel passages in the
other Gospels.  There are 10 tables.  The first table has verses with
parallels in all 4 Gospels, the last table  (X) are verses with no
parallels (thus there is no lookup table X).

We have the data here at the INTF and I've imported it into a SWORD
module.  It still has some cleanup which needs to be done, but basically
here is a first look at how I'd picture this implemented in frontends:

http://crosswire.org/study/passagestudy.jsp?key=John

Notice the number and table references on the left (or right if viewing
an RtoL Bible).  This display is modeled after how these numbers are
displayed in the Nestle-Aland Greek NT (which is modeled after how they
are written in the margins by the ancient scribes). Clicking a number
will do all the canon table lookups for you and show you the harmony
passages next to each other.

Any comments welcome.  Still cleaning things up but was far enough along
to put the idea out there for frontend developers to start thinking about.

Troy