[sword-devel] KJV 1611

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Sat Dec 14 15:00:52 MST 2013

Printers at that time did a number of things that would be surprising to
us today. Also, things like spellings were not as officially fixed as
they are now. That means that being "faithful to the text", and/or
translators, is not as clear of an objective, with texts that old, as it
is with some modern texts. The same word could have multiple spellings
in the same text and none of them be errors. Printers would change or
choose a spelling to add or subtract characters from a line to keep
columns uniform. "The" could become "ye" using y for thorn to save space.

So, one could be faithful to a copy of the text. Which in my opinion,
would be part of giving people the 1611 experience. Or, one could try to
be faithful to some text that may only exist in theory. (Uniform
spellings and such.) Or, something in between.

Anyone doing this should probably define what it is they want to
reproduce, a copy, a text represented by the copy/s, or something else.
And should probably select a copy to be their authoritative source and
perhaps some alternatives sources for solving problems. (The
authoritative source could be a facsimile and if so it should be clear
that the copy the fax was made from was not used as the authority.) They
should define how they are going to address problems, and features, and
understand they may have to change their minds as they go. If they make
correction they should log the nature of the corrections with the
understanding that latter they may want to undo the changes or at least
defend them.

I am not an expert on any of this. It is just my two cents.

Jerry