[sword-devel] KJV 1611

Ron Parker rdp at inthefaith.net
Sat Dec 14 11:17:32 MST 2013

On 2013-12-14 11:07, DM Smith wrote:

> The information is in the wiki (www.crosswire.org/wiki). There's a
> links on the home page to pretty much everything that you need to
> know. You can also find a transcription of Gen 1 for the 1611 KJV.

Nicely done.

> Regarding the effort, go for it. I've often wanted for us to have it,
> but we have not found a good, unencumbered* e-text. (* people often
> claim rights to the e-text for their effort in producing it and are
> unwilling to share)

As have I, while my free time may be limited I would be more than
willing to contribute.

> Regarding encoding, there are a few unicode characters to use beyond
> what is currently encoded in ASCII. These include the long s and
> letters that are tied together, ae, oe, ff, ....

On the original page I have of the Passover in Exodus there are also
`ct' and double-long-S ligatures.  Which leads to a question I've
mulled over about doing this.  How many of the typographic features
such as these should be preserved?  For example the `e', `y', `~',
etc. that appear written above other letters as what I believe are
typographers abbreviations.

Personally I've always wanted to create a version that retained all of
this for the historic and artistic aspects.  Even going so far as
considering eventually creating a font with the same metrics as was
used.  I fully realize that it was manually set and so the interword
and sometimes interletter spacing would probably not be exactly
programmitically reproducible.  Also this is further complicated by the
insertion on especially tight lines of some Roman type within the
predominantly Fraktur-ish text.  I also seem to recall the occasional
shifting of point sizes.

--
Ron Parker