[sword-devel] USFM2OSIS

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 10 15:04:28 MST 2013

Per the USFM Reference, in the specific cases of \id and a very small
number of other tags like \rem, the tag does end with the newline and it
is not appropriate to interpret any following text as a new tag. It's
not that usfm2osis.py requires \mt1, \c, or \q1 to start on a new line,
it's that everything after \id is part of that tag's unformatted &
unstructured data.

The specific language on the note for these tags is: "The text following
this marker is not normally used in any formatted presentation." They
all have the potential for containing a bunch of unstructured data and
are approximately on the level of comments. USFM comments (\rem) have
exactly the same note about unformatted data continuing to the end of
the line, and the example markup for \rem in the USFM reference makes
clear that \rem continues to the next newline and not the next USFM
marker, since two lines of comment require two distinct \rem's.

If usfm2osis.py has a problem interpreting data in other cases, I might
be willing to fix it, but in this case, I am not. usfm2osis.py is
behaving correctly. Paratext has a bug and is generating markup in
violation of the USFM spec. If UBS wants to declare that the markup
being generated from Paratext is correct, then the USFM Reference needs
to be corrected. That is all to say that I will not modify usfm2osis.py
to work around Paratext bugs that generate out of spec markup.

--Chris