[sword-devel] Sword support of indents and line breaks

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Sat Apr 13 06:24:53 MST 2013

On 13/04/2013, at 11:09 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

> I would add that the new HTML filter is a work in progress. It is moving to class attributes as a way to abstract presentation out of the filter.
>
> This is goodness. I'd recommend that we take the OSIS spec and create a mapping of each element to the corresponding HTML element and class variables (i.e. a design doc, fancy that ;)
>
> A full implementation would represent all OSIS in HTML and move presentation to the front-end, where it belongs.

Having looked briefly at this, I gave up. I couldn't figure out how to deal with the BCV model output, given that the input is the other model. At least, to me it seemed like we needed a major refactoring of how the filters work. I think it was BPBible that I was looking at that had done things quite differently to handle this? But given we have both the need to be able to correctly display a single verse by itself as well as a verse in it's context, it appeared that the filters needed some sort of state saved so we knew what sorts of containers we are currently in and which we are currently not in?
My understanding led me to realise that <br /> was the wise choice to use throughout the filters, rather than trying to deal with opening and closing <p> markers depending on how many verses in context were currently being displayed?

But this is just my quick interpretation based on trying to add bits and pieces to the filters over the last three years... Which reminds me, did I ever submit a patch for getting OSIS underline working in osishtmlhref?

My quick 2 cents...  :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

ps: sure, this may just be a challenge for someone to prove how wrong I am and how quick and easy it is to get this all working properly? ;)