[sword-devel] Sword support of indents and line breaks

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 04:34:14 MST 2013

On 04/13/2013 03:06 PM, Chris Little wrote:
> On 4/12/2013 9:42 PM, John Austin wrote:
>> I still can't see the argument for requiring that everyone call these
>> questionable instances paragraphs, and require that they must always be
>> marked up as such. Why not give the publisher the option of calling it a
>> paragraph if they consider it a paragraph, or else calling it an indent
>> if they think it will be more correctly understood as an indent? For
>> instance, many people consider that a paragraph should be followed by a
>> blank line (between paragraphs). What if I desire that this indented
>> line in my translation should never have a blank line after it, and that
>> it is an actual indent which is the content I intend to add- in order to
>> make my text more understandable? Then I should be able to call it an
>> indent. I would be very correct in doing so. Future readers of my OSIS
>> file would also unambiguously understand my intentions as well.
>
> The USFM from the publisher encodes them as paragraphs, so apparently
> the publisher believes they're paragraphs.

No, the publisher does not believe they are paragraphs. You can talk to
the translator herself (or himself) and they will have no clue about the
markup.

Actually, I just talked to a couple translators and was told that
translators do typically know what SFM they are entering. So I wasn't
correct above. But they were also much more concerned that their texts
should render with proper indents and line breaks than they cared about
the semantics of any tag names.