[sword-devel] Sword support of indents and line breaks

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:47:55 MST 2013

On 04/13/2013 09:24 AM, Chris Little wrote:
> On 4/12/2013 3:31 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>> Having said this, I think if there is a large number of existing modules
>> which get insufficiently rendered and if the patch required is small,
>> then I would suggest a two pronged approach:
>> 1) accept the patch (us)
>> 2) Do not accept anymore modules requiring this patch (IBT)
>> 3) Once the last module requiring it is gone in IBT we can "unpatch"
>> again.
>> I think this is a sensible compromise between integrity of the engine
>> and the needs for existing modules to present correctly. Quite unlike
>> many other "hacks" we have seen in modules this is a well documented,
>> XML compliant, logical hack not exploiting any existing faults in a
>> frontend or the engine.
>> Peter
>
> I would say that this is something that we absolutely should not do.
> It's bad practice and sets a bad precedent.
>
> For stability reasons we should not ever be adding features with an
> expectation of later removing them. We cannot predict when users will
> upgrade or even whether they will upgrade. So, effectively, we can't
> ever identify when it is safe to unpatch.
>
> More importantly, I have a real problem with how this proposal is coming
> to us. If you have a problem and a concrete solution, the appropriate
> next step would be to propose it to sword-devel and get some feedback.
> It doesn't matter how good, how minimal, how innocuous, or how clever
> you believe your solution is, you should get some feedback.
>
> If you choose instead to implement your solution without consultation
> and to release content employing it, you don't get to turn around and
> demand compliance to your ad hoc solution. In the event you actually
> have come up with a good solution, it might get added to the library,
> but it would depend on the merits of the solution itself--not your
> choice to release content requiring it.

I'm glad you did mention this, because I did bring this exact issue up
in JIRA a year ago. Please see:
http://www.crosswire.org/tracker/browse/API-153. So I did attempt to go
the appropriate channels. I started this discussion again at the present
time because I was advised by another Sword user to do so.