[sword-devel] Sword support of indents and line breaks

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:27:32 MST 2013

On 04/13/2013 07:34 AM, Greg Hellings wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com
> <mailto:mcepl at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     My point was that documents are more valuable and more difficult to
>     change than programs. So we should orient on perfecting documents
>     and change programs if necessary. And yes, possibility of using
>     stylesheets would be awesome, but that isn't necessarily the point.
>

> The point is
> 1) His publishers want to control indents
> 2) Sword doesn't want to give this control through XML
> 3) Sword does not support stylesheet mechanisms for giving module
> creators this control.
>
> Presently, there are some half-way workarounds that are only effective
> in some places.
>
> 1) Not use OSIS XML but instead use ThML. But this only functions in
> HTML-based applications
> 2) Use the forms of OSIS XML that are mentioned earlier, which are
> non-ideal. But this only works in xulsword
> 3) Change the applications, which is an unfeasible level of effort, as
> the number of applications could increase without bound.
>
> This problem has been hashed out many times. There seems to be no
> satisfactory method to give publishers the type of control they want. We
> can't specify CSS styles, since only some of our applications can parse
> and utilize CSS. We can't specify RTF for the same reason. We can't
> allow XSL because only JSword uses XSLT on the OSIS whereas Sword uses a
> stream text processor that roughly resembles SAX which allows it to work
> marvelously on low-memory devices with great success.
>
> In theory the ideal way for us to handle XML sources would be to allow
> each application or device to specify an XSLT which is combined with one
> from the module to prevent certain output that the target device cannot
> handle. But, in practice, this doesn't work very well as not every
> programming environment has access to XSLT libraries and some devices
> can't handle the large memory overhead needed to load in an XML file
> that is several MB (like the one for the KJV), transform it, and write
> it back out in an efficient manner.
>
> So we're stuck in an unenviable position of being forced to either
> suggest a user select one of these partial hacks or tell people that we
> can't honor their request for control over the formatting.

But the situation is more hopeful if we keep focus on the original
subject: indents and line breaks.

Wouldn't a good solution be this:

1) Agree that all translator dictated content is important and that it
should be stored in the OSIS file. This includes milestone indents when
hand placed by translators, since their purpose is not style, structure,
or presentation, but rather part of making the text understandable and
readable.

2) Agree that there will always be natural limitations regarding what
content Sword is able to render. Sword can not attempt to render every
conceivable content. Sword should attempt to choose wisely and carefully
what practical content it is expected to support.

3) Go ahead and add a line or two of code to render the milestone indent
content as an indent. This adheres to Sword's purposes of safekeeping
Bible translation content, and supporting ministry needs.

I believe, according to most of what I've read from people during this
discussion, that it only requires a rethinking to accept translator
placed indents as content- to see that this is a very nice solution.