[sword-devel] Locale differences

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 16:00:02 MST 2012

On 10/09/12 20:44, Greg Hellings wrote:

> I just wanted to put that out here, so there is a record of it and so
> developers for either app can think about the UX they want. In the
> case of Takwane, since neither application has a Takwane locale it is
> likely the users will try for Portugese in the application's UI but
> will still want to type their native Takwane book names. This makes
> Xiphos' UX undesirable as it only understands English and whatever
> locale the UI is in. But presumably a user might want to open a module
> in a different language and still be able to use their native locale
> (like us English speakers are probably used to doing since the engine
> appears to understand English all the time). This makes BibleTime's UX
> bad because it seems to ignore the UI's locale.
> I'm unsure of a path to take when recommending an application to the
> translators for testing because of this. Both situations could be
> awkward, unless they eventually decide it is worth the effort to
> translate the UI itself into Takwane.

The effort to translate the user interface is not huge - an evening
rough, a weekend really nice.

But I agree nevertheless. There is a problem.

Many minority languages will not warrant a GUI translation and in many
places it might even not be desirable as people are not used to use
computers in the minority language, but use a computer in the main
national language.

I guess exposing the search locale as an user defined option and adding
the ability to have several search locale might be the best way forward.