[sword-devel] The poor man's interlinear

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 8 21:17:23 MST 2012

On 09/08/2012 02:22 PM, David Haslam wrote:

> Here's a more detailed list of requirements from my friend (who's a
> volunteer for MissionAssist).
>
> 1. Definitely different encodings. This is where ALL comparison
> programs fall down. ...

Would it be worthwhile to work around this by recoding one file into
the encoding of the other, and then comparing the two files "normally"?

In other words, in the Linux world, make the custom font/encoding
known to recode, and then use recode to transform the file.  Then a
conventional file comparator will (I think?) work fine.

Overall I suspect you might be looking at the problem from too narrow
a perspective... instead of seeking a way to display things and
compare them by eye, consider seeking a way to transform the encoding
of one file into that of the other, so that the computer then can do
the comparison for you automatically :)  Is this workable, or am I
missing something?

man recode for info on its capabilities.  recode -l for a list of the
encoding it already knows about on your system.

Jonathan