[sword-devel] Sword utilities (Win32) r2693 ?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 06:08:02 MST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Greg,
>
> I have *xiphos.exe 3.1.5-webkit* and the Xiphos folder does indeed contain
> most of the utilities.
>
> If I run osis2mod.exe from there, the revision number is just displayed as
> *$Rev$* (without an r-number) so it doesn't exactly show which SWORD release
> it was.
> All the filedates are 2012-02-20.

Then it is the current SVN as of 2012-02-19. Namely r2679. Which
sounds correct because there were several commits on the 21st and I
later had to rebuild for a re-release of Xiphos. I don't know if that
version has been sent into the wild since then. Building a new zip
file of the release is pretty straightforward, so I'll whip that
together tonight for you.

> A module built using this version of osis2mod.exe does not display section
> headings at all !
> That's the case whether or not I include the attribute subType='x-preverse'
> in the title elements!
>
> So I'm still really confused as to how to prepare an OSIS file such that
> headings can be correctly displayed.

That is neither my area of expertise nor my question. :)

> An older version of osis2mod.exe *r2562* does make a module that displays
> headings correctly providing subType='x-preverse' is included.
>
> However, *r2562* does not /append/ a non-KJV verse *III John 15* to verse
> 14.
> Rather it /replaced/ verse 14 text by that for verse 15, even though the
> message tells me it was appending it. So unless I tweak the OSIS file for
> this one instance, I'm at an impasse.
>
> Clearly, I'm at a serious disadvantage in (a) not being a software developer
> who has gone into how to compile C++ source code in a Windows environment,
> and (b) not being a Linux user. But I shouldn't have to be either, were
> there adequate support for Windows users at CrossWire. Making modules should
> not be that difficult.
>
> /As I've observed a long time ago, being a mere Windows user makes me feel
> like Cinderella! /
>
> I expect many other Windows users are like me - pretty frustrated when it
> comes to building modules, because of the inconsistencies in Sword utilities
> and pre-processing scripts for making good OSIS.

Maybe you should just start using Mac, since it's the best of both worlds. :)

--Greg