[sword-devel] genbook lexicons - example problem and potential solutions

Daniel Owens dcowens76 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 18:39:40 MST 2012

I am still working on the Abbott-Smith markup project (over 300 entries
and counting). We have four contributors right now, so the pace is
picking up. Creating a module is another story. Chris made a lexicon
module after the first release, but . . .

I would like the module to look like this:
http://www.textonline.org/files/abbott-smith/abbott-smith.current_release.html.
To do that in SWORD, it needs to be a genbook in order to support:
- front- and backmatter
- page numbers
- a hierarchical structure (In the original TEI it has at least one
superEntry, but it is also divided into <div>'s by letter heading [Α, Β,
Γ, Δ, Ε, Ζ, Η, Θ, etc.])

The good news is that an OSIS genbook supports the bare-bones essentials
of entries. And thankfully BPBible and BibleTime both display entries
together in the same view, thanks to BPBible's continuous scrolling and
*perhaps* BibleTime not recognizing <div type="x-entry">.

Unfortunately various features of valid OSIS genbooks are inconsistently
supported by front-ends. I created a module for testing. You can find it
at
https://github.com/translatable-exegetical-tools/Abbott-Smith/tree/master/releases/sword,
including a valid OSIS file. Issues include:
- Some front-ends recognize <lb/>, others <p>, but the lexicon uses both
(and both are valid OSIS) in various contexts.
- Tables are inconsistently supported (mostly not)
- Titles should be centered, but there is no way to do that in OSIS, as
far as I can tell. I wonder if this is a great example use case of
per-module CSS...
- Parts of speech should be green and page numbers red, but you can't do
color in OSIS (another use case of per-module CSS?)

Some of these like <p>, <lb>, and tables should just work, I think.
Perhaps I will file bug reports. But the other display issues cannot be
resolved by OSIS alone.

Should TEI be a supported genbook format? I would think the TEI filter
(as it evolves) could be pressed into use for genbooks. If that were
done, certain lexicon-specific features as well as real book features
such as page numbers could be consistently supported and displayed. On
the other hand, I could see the value of having per-module CSS in the
conf file so that the module developer could have some control over
display.

Any thoughts?

Daniel